Saturday, August 14, 2010

"Hello, miss! What's my name?"

Overwhelmed. That's probably the best word I can use to describe my sentiments upon arriving at Shanti Bhavan. Two days ago, the two-hour journey from Bangalore with my 92-year-old and 82-year-old paternal and maternal grandfathers into Tamil Nadu culminated in a bumpy ride through the large gates of the residential school, my home for the next year. As our car pushed further interior into rural Tamil Nadu on the dirt road amidst acres of pastures, speckled with cows and huts, my grandfathers discussed proudly how "brave" I was for wanting to stay in such a remote location. Within seconds of reaching the school, I couldn't believe I ever got so lucky.

Shanti Bhavan is a school and home for some of the most disadvantaged, underprivileged children of India's lowest caste, comprising of about 200 students, 2-12. Founded by Dr. Abraham George in 1997, the school enables so-called "untouchables" to pursue higher education and a career of their choice by providing something most of us in the western world take for granted - an education. For the next 10 months, I will be a volunteer teacher at this extraordinary, forward-thinking institution.

What hits you first is not the stark differences between the blissfully serene campus and the bustling metropolitan hub a mere 50 kilometers away - rather, it's the excitement and genuine curiosity of the students that pervades the atmosphere. Smiling faces, shouts of "Miss Rashmi!" from classroom windows, and inquiring personal questions greeted me as I walked through the campus for the first time. Allegra, the volunteer coordinator, welcomed us to meet Dr. George. I learned I would be teaching 10th, 11th, and 12th grade biology, 6th grade grammar, 8th grade writing, and potentially pick up some chemistry classes. In addition, I was given the permission of the school's Vice Principal, Miss Beena, to instruct after-school dance classes.

After my grandfathers were finished volunteering their life stories to Dr. George, they departed, and I was left to explore the campus, speak with my roommates, and meet the students. The name Shanti Bhavan means 'Haven of Peace,' and it is truly that. Though I had read numerous blogs of previous volunteers, nothing could have prepared me for the way in which the community welcomed me into their home. Without judgement, opinions, or questioning, the students immediately accepted me and were sincerely interested in learning more about me. The younger children flooded me with questions right away, telling me their names, and 2 minutes later, quizzing me to see if I remember. Meanwhile, many of the older students took more time getting to know me. By the second day, however, the 11th graders had asked me to join their table for dinner, and I was teased playfully, already a friend. The ease at which I became a member of the Shanti Bhavan family is truly remarkable. I look forward to seeing what this year will bring.





3 comments:

  1. Glad you're there and those kids sound so sweet. Have fun and stay safe!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see that your experience is starting off on a rich, personal note; am sure you and the kids will benefit from the exchange over the course of the year. Have fun.
    Shekar, Latha & Meera

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cooL! glad to hear you're liking it there!!! Are you teaching in English or some other language? do u teach all the grades or just one grade or just one particular subject?!

    ReplyDelete